Thursday, January 1, 2015

Vizio Fiesta Bowl

What, no Tostitos sponsorship?  They did bring back the classic Fiesta Bowl script logo.

#20 Boise State vs. #10 Arizona

I have to admit, I didn't have much interest in this game, with a couple teams I have little interest in.  I figured one quarter and maybe a look-see later.

Boise State takes the spot of the one non-power five conferences in the new schedule of NYE and NYD bowl games.  Arizona makes the first trip to the home state Fiesta Bowl since 1993.  There's your history lesson.

The first quarter was underway when I got home so that meant I'd be watching more of this game than planned.  Short-ish day at work, taking advantage of technology and voice tracking three hours of my show.  I also had to stop and drop my car off at the local mechanic for some overdue repairs, then I walked the half mile home, Figured I could use some exercise after many hours of bowl watching. Good choice. Need to get back to more walking.

Boise State was already up a touchdown and use a great halfback pass trick play to score their second.  Then they added a third and I was thinking it was going to be another Peach Bowl style blow-out.

Credit to Arizona, they could have folded but they hung in there with 17 second half points but still not playing much defense. Scooby Wright, where are you?

Much tighter second half, both teams playing better defense - adjustments.  Late in the 4th, Arizona had a chance to get a touchdown.  14 seconds to go, 3rd and goal with no time outs and the Wildcats QB Anu Solomon inexplicably scrambles, never throws the ball and gets tackled inbound, game over. Mrs. Keith, Boy #1 and I were all yelling, "Throw the ball" on that play.  He didn't hear us.

How bad was that last play?  Tell 'em RichRod.

 Yeah, that bad.

Boise St. 38  Arizona 30

Notes

-Arizona's great defender Scooby Wright was basically a non-factor.

-Boise State owns the Fiesta Bowl, now 3-0 in this game.

-What did I eat?  I still have some of my spicy pecans, so those. Also had a Lagunitas IPA, very good.

-Bowl swag:  Cheap; Fossil watch; Ogio Rogue backpack.

My pick - Arizona.  Hey, they won quarters 2-4, does that count for something?

One more NYE game, in Miami.

No comments:

Post a Comment